1. About Our Services
  2. About Personal Safety
  3. Crisis/Urgent

FAQ's About Our Services

Q: Do I need to make an appointment to see the Youth Advocate?
A: Walk-ins are always welcome, but making an appointment in advance is recommended.

Q: Is a fee charged?
A: No. Our services are provided at no cost to Dartmouth residents.

Q: Can I make a donation?
A: Yes. The Dartmouth Youth Commission maintains a Gift Account that is used for special and client emergency purposes. Donations should be made to the Dartmouth Youth Commission Gift Account, care of the Town of Dartmouth, Youth Commission. Mail to 400 Slocum Road, Dartmouth, MA 02747.

Q: Do you provide psychotherapy?
A: No. The Youth Advocate provides general counseling, support and crisis intervention to young people and their parents. We routinely refer to other agencies and professionals for psychotherapy and clinical assessment.

Q: Can you tell me more about the Dartmouth Youth Commission?
A: About The Dartmouth Youth Commission

Q: What about confidentiality?
A: All names records and information is strictly confidential. Only the Youth Advocate has access to confidential information. Confidentiality Statement

Q: What are the ages of young people who utilize your services?
A: The Youth Advocate's client appointment time is roughly divided by working with the following: 65% teens, 15% preteens, 15% children and 5% parents.

Q: Do my parents have to know that I came in to talk about a problem?
A: If for a brief, one time visit, and you are not at risk, no. If consecutive appointments are made, yes. (Remember though, we honor confidentiality.)

FAQ's About Personal Safety

Q: I have a friend who is talking about committing suicide. Should I tell somebody?
A: Yes! This is very serious and you ought to tell a responsible adult (parent, teacher, counselor, clergy person, employer) right away. It's very important to get "your friend" help quickly. Click here.

Q: What if I had a friend who was being forced to do "yucky" stuff with her body by a sick-o person?
A: This is called sexual abuse, and it is wrong. It is never the young person's fault, no matter what he or she may have been told. You or "your friend" need to tell a responsible adult (parent, teacher, counselor, clergy person, employer) right away. This is scary stuff, but help is available by trained, trustworthy adults. Here are some resources that can offer help. Click here.

Q: My friend comes to school sometimes with nasty bruises and marks that show when we take gym. He says his parents are real strict. What's going on?
A: Your friend is probably being physically abused and needs help. Encourage your friend to tell a responsible adult who can help him. You, also, can report this. **Click here for more info and help.**

Q: This guy follows me wherever I go. I see him near my house a lot and sometimes he even comes in where I work and just stares at me. It's creepy. What can be done?
A: This is called stalking, and it is a crime in the United States. Talk with your folks about what's going on. Either your parents or you should call the police and report what's happening. They will help you. **Click here for more info and help.**

Q: My friend has been adding vodka to her juice bottle that she brings to school. She says it's no big deal, but I'm worried.
A: You have good reason to be concerned. Problem drinking frequently begins this way. If you're friend is not willing or able to talk with an adult about this, then tell a teacher or school administrator what's going on. They can help. Consider speaking with your parents, too. To learn more about the warning signs and dangers of underage drinking, click here.